Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year.
This is what you do on Thanksgiving: you get together with family and friends, you gorge yourself on delicious food, you drink wine, you watch football, you probably eat more food and drink more wine, then you go to sleep. There’s no pressure, no dragging yourself to church with family or worrying about buying gifts that will live up to expectations. There is only family, food, wine, and football, and live doesn’t get much better than that.
Oh, and there’s also that whole giving thanks thing. It’s been an up and down year – and any day of mine lately will be an up and down day – but in spite of all the stuff that I wish I could change (no job, no hockey, no apartment of my own), I am actually thankful for quite a lot. So I present to you, in my own unique way, a list of things I am thankful for in 2012:
- Friends across the Northeast who will let me stay with them, buy me lunch and wine, and try to recruit me to move to their city.
- A supportive, loving, understanding family.
- The very last Twilight movie being released so THERE WILL BE NO MORE TWILIGHT MOVIES.
- BYOB restaurants.
- Awesome Twitter feeds. @psamp live tweeting Pittsburgh sports events and Harry Potter movies, @lakings showing other teams how social media is done, @RealRClark25 commenting on football and pop culture, @CoryBooker ensuring that all Newark residents have Hot Pockets, @EmergencyPuppy sending you pick-me-ups every afternoon, and anyone who tweeted during the Presidential debates.
- Green Day.
- MegaBus and BoltBus.
- Jeremy Renner singing.
- The mental images of Vancouver saved in my mind and the hope that one day I’ll be back.
- The TV boyfriend bracket.
- Group emails and text messages.
- McKayla Maroney.
- Google docs.
- Nick Miller.
- All of you reading this.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I hope you have a wonderful weekend with family, friends, food, wine, and football.